What is Microdermabrasion?
September 15 2019
You may have heard of microdermabrasion, the effective exfoliating treatment that leaves skin bright, smooth, and healthy looking. But what is microdermabrasion, and how does it work? We get a lot of questions about the treatment, and today we’ll talk about what microdermabrasion is and how it works to give you that gorgeous, healthy glow.
Simply put, microdermabrasion is an exfoliation technique. Exfoliating means using a very gentle abrasive to remove the layer of dead skin cells and dirt that can clog pores and cause breakouts and other skin issues. Microdermabrasion does this by using microcrystals, which gently but effectively remove pollutants that don’t come off with cleansing alone.
While exfoliating your skin with microcrystals, the microdermabrasion tool also has a gentle vacuum that removes the dead skin cells and debris loosened by the exfoliating treatment. In the end, you’re left with a bright, healthy complexion with a wonderful natural glow.
Exfoliating your skin also stimulates its own natural rejuvenation processes. With the removal of the outer layer of dead skin cells, your body begins to build new replacement cells. Collagen production is part of this process. Collagen is a protein that builds the structure of your skin, along with elastin, which keeps it strong and supple. As we age, collagen production diminishes, affecting skin structure and eventually causing those fine lines and wrinkles. When exfoliating stimulates this process, it optimizes collagen production to restore your skin to a younger appearance.
Improved collagen and elastin production also helps replace gaps in the surface that make scars look more prominent, including scars caused by acne. Faster cell turnover helps balance uneven surface pigments that leave dark patches or hyperpigmentation on the surface.
The microdermabrasion process helps stimulate circulation, which enables better blood flow to your cells and helps flush toxins away. optimal blood flow helps optimize your cellular health, which shows on the surface with bright, glowing skin.
It usually takes more than one treatment to see optimal results, because the process of skin rejuvenation takes time. Everyone’s needs vary, but a series of six to ten treatments is the most common for optimal results. There is little to no downtime with microdermabrasion. Your skin will have a pink glow that looks like a sunburn that will fade in 24 hours. You’ll be asked to avoid sun exposure for a few days and hold off on the makeup for that first day.
Want to try microdermabrasion for yourself? Make an appointment today at the Salon & Spa @ Greenbriar. Our professional estheticians will review your skincare needs and help you determine if microdermabrasion is the right treatment for you. Call us at 254.939.3700 or visit our salon at 217 East Central Ave in Belton, Texas to book an appointment or talk with our professional estheticians about your skincare needs.
- Combat Dry Winter Skin With A Manicure
- Micro-needling for Glowing Skin
- Encourage Healthy Skin with Regular Facials
- The Many Health Benefits of Professional Spa Pedicures
- Connect with the Salon & Spa and Greenbriar on Our Free Mobile App
- What is Microdermabrasion?
- Fun Hair Color Trends for Fall 2019
- Enjoy a Massage for Relaxation and Health Benefits
- Skip the Mascara Hassle with Lash Enhancements
- Six Tips for Flawless Summer Makeup
- Today’s Perms – Get Soft, Defined Curl Without the Frizz
- Get Beautiful, Healthy Skin All Over with Body Treatments
- Smooth and Brighten Your Skin with Micro-Needling
- Get a Smooth Look for Summer with Bikini Waxing
- How to Update Your Skincare Routine for Spring
- Get Amazing Results from Customized Skin Peels
- Five Important Benefits of Professional Spa Facials
- Discover the Magic of Aveda Plant-Powered Alternatives
- Don’t Skip the Conditioner for Healthy Hair
- Manicures for the Health of your Skin & Nails
- Keratin Treatments for the Health of Your Hair
- Pamper Yourself with a Massage from The Salon & Spa at Greenbriar